stability of pitch raises

Scott Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:31:54 +1000

It's interesting to follow the discussion about pitch raises. It seems that some modern research
just confirms what has been known for a long time.

It seems this may have been recognised as early as 1917.
On page 227 of "Page Tuning and Allied Arts fifth edition", William Braid White says:

	"The object of pulling up the first time from the extreme bass, is to put on the
additional stress beginning at the heaviest part of the iron plate. If the work be begun in the
middle, the structure will at once act to equalize the new stresses and the pitch will drop as
soon as it is reached."

So..........., nothing new!

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos