Baldwin SD-10

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:30:14 0000

     I am currently rebuilding a 1982 SD-10.  I have never rebuilt one before
and have tuned or serviced only a few.  This one has fairly bad bridge
cracks in the top section of the long bridge and in the unichord section
of the bass bridge.  One of the other pianos that I've serviced also had
this problem although not as severe.  Is this typical of these pianos?
Although the bridge is vertically laminated with no cap I'm planning to
put on a cap to deal with the cracking problem?  Does anyone have any
comments about putting a cap on a bridge like this?
     A few other observations:
  The angle of the bridge pins coming out of the bridges seems quite severe
to me and is I assume part of the reason for the bridge cracking.
  The soundboard does not come all the way to the outer rim.  There is a
groove or channel between the soundboard and the outer rim that goes
down to the inner rim.  It appears to have been cut after the soundboard
was installed.  Does anyone know the reason for this?
  Looking down into the groove one can see the ends of the relief cuts
where the ribs are let in to the inner rim.  The ends of these cuts are
rounded as if they were cut with a router or mill.  The ends of the ribs
are squared and do not come all the way to the end of the relief cuts.
I had always assumed that good quality pianos were built with the ribs
closely fitted to their relief pockets and soundboards always ending at
the outer rim, but apparently this is not always the case.

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration