Junking 1st Piano Problem

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:24:10 -0500

It is amazing. We have no trouble seeing an auto that is worn out and a
wreck go to that great scrap yard in the sky but shed tears over a piano
that for $3000.00 can be made into a good $500.00 instrument. Who would want
to save a Yugo with 100,000 miles on it that 3 teenage boys had learned how
to drive on.

Save the action, keys and pedal parts, if you have the room. Save 1 set of
ends to use for backing blocks to use to reglue end case veneer and maybe a
post or 2 if they are good wood and you can cut pieces out of them some time
in the future. If the legs, front board, fall board, etc are decorative you
might be able to sell them to an antique dealer. Then take it apart if this
is your first junking. You can learn a lot about how the case is constructed
that will help you in future case repairs. There is a lot of good fire wood
if you have a fire place. Recycle the metal parts you don't want. You can
get rid of a lot of aggression if you pretend the piano belongs to your
customer from hell (we all have at least one of these customers) and use a
heavy sledge hammer.

John Dewey