Junking 1st Piano Problem

Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:41:19 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 05, 2001 4:52 AM
Subject: Junking 1st Piano Problem

> My problem comes with the 4th piano in the garage. An 1895 Knabe 54"
> upright. It has the simple-but-beautiful burled walnut case. The piano
needs
> top-to-bottom rebuilding (and inside and out). It has a moderate amount of
> apparent termite damage (old - no active termites). Case has a few trim
> pieces missing. Action frame is wood. 3/4, full-perimeter plate. Separate
> low tenor bridge. This obviously WAS a very, very nice, high-quality,
piano
> 100 years ago. The termite damage seems to be pushing me over the edge
> toward tossing it out. I know so well that when you disassemble a
> termite-bitten object, you will find ten-fold or greater damage within.
>
> I have yet to junk my first piano (although I have told many clients to
junk
> theirs!). This is quickly becoming a traumatic experience for me. Will the
> piano goddess forgive/understand me if I disassemble this old beauty with
> sledge hammer? I would at least hang the plate on my shop wall! Would
anyone
> (with a clear conscience) recommend that I keep and rebuild this piano
(that
> is, am I doing the right thing?)?
>
> I know these questions sound like they are coming from an amateur, but I
> think the first time can be difficult for anyone who loves and respects
the
> wonderful world of pianos and the craftspersons who created these fine
> monuments to music.

Terry,

Realizing that this piano could once again be a wonderful musical
instrument--better by far than those shiny black plastic boxes that pass for
upright pianos these days--I still have to weigh in on the side of extensive
modification:
    -- The back posts can be modified into bench legs.
    -- The case parts can be modified into bench sides, shelves, drawers,
etc.
    -- The plate can be modified into wall art or garden art; take your
pick.
    -- The keys--after removing any remaining ivory and the capstans
(assuming they are not the old rocker type--can be modified into kindling
wood.
    -- The keybed can be modified into a small workbench top.
    -- The soundboard, bridges, pinblock, etc, can all be modified into
firewood.
    -- Any usable hardware is not destroyed at all, but saved for future
use. You many never use these parts, but it's easier saving (and moving) a
box of parts than it is saving (and moving) a complete piano. Pay particular
attention to those big old screws and bolts.
    -- Actions are always a dilemma. Do you take the time to disassemble
them so you can save the parts for future use? Will there ever be any future
use? What are the chances? Or do you just trash it? Years ago I'd have
disassembled it, today I'd trash it.

It was the termite damage and the missing trim pieces that tipped the
balance. Those, and the wood action frame. It would be wonderful if someone
would come up with a 'universal' action kit that could be used in these old
things. There is no need to exactly duplicate the style of action each of
them had, just the function. And that shouldn't be so hard to do. A basic
stack, a set of adjustable stickers, adjustable brackets, etc.--it could be
done. True, it wouldn't be a job for a beginner, but a reasonably
accomplished rebuilder shouldn't have too much trouble fitting one. It would
make remanufacturing one of these old things a lot more cut and dried.

As may be, the piano goddess will be understanding only if you modify this
piano. She will get very upset with you if you just destroy it.

Regards,

Del