shimming keyslips

Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:07:38 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MBrat70179@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 05, 2001 9:48 PM
  Subject: shimming keyslips

  Now you all have run into this problem.  I know.  Please don't tell me =
"Well=20
  I'd just plane off the back of the keyslip" or "a little sanding on =
the front=20
  of the keys will do wonders".  Those are not the types of responces I =
am=20
  willing to entertain, thank you.  I also sometimes find a warped =
keyslip,=20
  lets deal with that one another day.  Lets correct the straight ones =
first.=20
-----

Well, there are a variety of ways of dealing with this problem, but =
since you want the permanent ones, I'll give you three. What you end up =
doing will depend on the seriousness of the problem and the type of =
piano.

If the keyslip is held in place by two or three pins as with the S&S =
designs you can try bending the pins slightly to force the top of the =
slip forward, away from the keys. That, along with a couple of shims =
between the ends of the slip and the cheek blocks should take care of =
all but the most difficult cases.

If the keyslip is held in place by screws you can shim between the =
bottom of the keyslip and the keyframe along the back edge of the slip =
(i.e., between the screw and the keyframe). Tightening the screws down =
will cause the keyslip to lean forward, away from the keys.

In those really nasty situations where major adjustments are required I =
have occasionally found it necessary to pull whatever hardware is =
holding the keyslip in place--pins, screws, whatever--and plug the =
original holes and remount the whole thing.=20

This sounds harder to do than it really is. To accurately locate the new =
screw or pin holes locate appropriate spots for the new holes on the top =
of the keybed and drill down from the top through the keybed. If you're =
not real good at drilling holes at perpendicular angles, use a drill =
guide. If you're putting in new screws then countersink these holes up =
from the bottom. Now locate and clamp the keyslip in place--making sure =
you have adequate clearance between it and the keys--and drill up from =
the bottom of the keybed into the bottom of the keyslip using you're =
nice new screwholes as guides. Put in new screws and/or pins and you're =
in business.

I realize the above is some sketchy, but you should get the idea. More =
questions? Just ask.

Del