Machine vs Aural

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 00:36:54 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 8:39 PM
Subject: stunning tuning without a stun gun

| The following comment triggered me to write something:
|
| "I certainly believe...no I know that it is possible to learn to
| out-tune even the best of ETD's...no matter how good they get."
|
| Virgil Smith has tried it several times. The net result is that no
| matter which method is used if it is used by a well experienced
| tuner, the results will be practically indistinguishable.
....... ........
| No machine tunes a piano for you. Neither do ears.
|
| Jim Coleman, Sr.

I would like to see an "Official Machine vs Aural Tuning Evaluation
Procedures" be developed to give a uniform method of grading the
"practically indistinguishable".
We all agree on Octaves, what is next?  ....Thirds of course.  If the
3rds sound OK then Fourths in the temp octave will show slight
"errors".   There are a quite a few other tests---which are good to
use?  I suppose machines could also be included in the judging  which
could be set up to judge the machines themselves.

---ric