Brian's post of Re: New Job for Wim

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:20:03 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/01 2:00:42 PM Central Daylight Time, doepke@fwi.com
writes:

> Having been in education for over 20 years, I am also curious to find out
> about The University's position regarding regular maintenance and
> regulating.  When I was teaching choral music, I wish that a local
> technician would have told me more about how climate/humidity changes
> affected the pianos in my department.  Even some literature from the PTG
> would have been welcome.
>
> Brian Doepke

Brian:

The big difference with maintaining pianos at the university and maintaining
pianos in a school, is that I am paid a salary. I have a budget to buy piano
parts, but other than going through the purchasing process, I don't have to
ask permission, and it doesn't have to be "put in the budget," to repair a
piano.

As was mentioned by others, it is important that the music teacher, and
perhaps the principal, of problems with the piano. Schools have paid a lot of
money for an instrument, and if you can convince them that paying you $500
now, it will keep the piano going for another 10 years, instead of having to
buy a new piano for $5000 in 2 years. It's like the Fram Oil Filter
commercial. "You can pay me (a small amount) now, or pay me (a large amount)
later"

Wim