Appraisal check List

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 00:36:53 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Doepke Family <doepke@fwi.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 1:55 PM
Subject: Appraisal check List

> Hello List,
> I have searched the archives for a check list of items to examine when
doing
> an appraisal on a piano.  I have found none.
>
> May I ask if you could share a check list of items that you examine when
> doing a purchase consult?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Brian Doepke
> doepke@fwi.com

5 most important things that affect the value (IMHO):  1) Plate -- not
cracked.  Strings -- not excessively rusty;  still some life & vibrancy in
the bass strings  2) Soundboard -- preferably some crown (stretch a string
across the middle between two ribs).  If there is some, great;  if not, but
the tone and sustain are OK, then not a great concern unless it's going to
be moved to a drier climate or just came from a wetter one.  Cracks --
preferably none, but if there are some, the fewer the better, the smaller
the better, and the less buzzing or rattling, the better.  If they do
buzz/rattle, try to find the location and see if it's in an accessible spot
where a screw can be put through the board into the separated rib.  If it's
in a spot behind the plate, that's tougher, but not hopeless.  Bridges -- no
huge splits  3)  Pinblock -- pins tight enough to hold a tuning?  (if
they're loose in humid weather, they'll be worse in dry).  Not doped; pins
not driven in to where the coils are touching the plate.  4)  Tone &
sustain -- decent?  pleasing?  5)  Appearance (finish) & condition of
case -- needs refinishing?  falling apart? separating veneer, etc.?
    The above items are the expensive ones to deal with if something's
wrong.  Strings, hammers, keytops, action parts can be replaced, but it's
not worth doing if most of the above items are not OK.
    Regarding the action, the value of the piano isn't affected much unless
it needs major replacement of parts (hammers, dampers, butts, shanks,
knuckles, wippens, catcher leather, backchecks,  keytops, & rebushing
everything)
    Oh, and of course, the manufacturer -- famous makes will usually be
worth more, but not necessarily -- depends on the condition and the expected
remaining life of the instrument before it needs to be rebuilt or go to
piano heaven.
--Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver