charge for pitch raise

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 06:45:17 -0400

Well, for most of us it's charging for the work done.  But one time a tech told
me if he arrived to find the piano 50c flat he charges double his normal tuning
fee, and if it's 100c flat he charges double again.  As an example, $80 to tune,
$160 to pitchraise 50c and tune, $320 to pitchraise 100c and tune.  That sounds
like penalizing to me, or am I missing something here?

I've been told from another source that one can never say charges are
inappropriate.  That never made sense to me before, and it doesn't now.  I do
concede, however, that one tech may charge considerably more than another for
doing exactly the same thing.  That's what the free market is all about, and
it's even against the law to agree to all charge the same thing.

Regards, Clyde