structural members

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:02:13 0000

Was this perhaps a player at one time?  I have a Mason-Hamlin A in my
shop that was a player and has a similar phenomenon.  One of the nose
bolts (in this case a screw) is screwed to a stub of a nose bolt shaped
thing which extends down below the hole in the soundboard, so that
from above the arrangement looks just like a normal A.  When I
took out the plate I didn't think to look underneath first and I just
started to take out the screw in the time tested fashion (with a
screwdriver).  It kept turning and was not coming out.  After some
time I realized that something was amiss.  I thought at first that the
screw was stripped.  But when I looked underneath I was surprised to
see that there was no beam in this location and there was just a little
stub hanging out in the breeze.  The beam configuration on the player
is different than on the normal A, to accomodate the player mechanism.
I imagine to keep costs down they wanted to use the same plates and soundboards on all pianos, players and non players, so they came up with
these virtual nosebolts.

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:09:54
 Ron Nossaman wrote:

>>>I would like to attach all the nose bolts to a beam, since I am sure in
>>original design of the piano they were there.  I will gladly remove and
>>change the one original beam if it doesn't fit the new configuration.
>
>So how do you suppose it got to the present condition of noseboltus
>nonsupportus?
>>
>>Andrew Remillard

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!