Sherman Clay grand

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:26:48 -0500

I was called out to check a tuning I did about a month ago, which a
pianist, visiting, said was very badly out of tune.   I have tuned this
piano three times (4-now) all of them aurally because I couldn't get TLab
to make a tuning curve that even came close to the "little red boxes"
(help me, Dave Porritt).  Even substituting notes for each other, the
inharmonicity readings were splayed all over the place.    I suggested a
new, very expensive set of bass strings might help, but there were
problems all over the piano.  The gentleman watched me set up the
TuneLab, saw there results, and, as an engineering PhD, said he was
familiar with overtones, partials, etc., and when compared with the curve
of a Yamaha G3, he was satisfied that the tuning on his piano would
probably not match the much more competitor's piano.  His reason for
calling me was that a lady visited them one day, and played "a few notes"
and said it was badly out of tune.  Talking with this lady it was obvious
she had no tuning background, and her "perfect pitch" was, as we all
know, likely good "relative pitch", but certainly not perfect.

My expressed opinion was that this was a lesser expensive model of piano,
and there are reasons that some pianos that size cost upwards of $30,000.
His piano had certain challenges which could be minimized, but not
entirely eliminated, except with a complete restringing, and I am not at
all sure that would fix it.  He agreed, and, after I showed him the
temperament, smooth fourths and fifths, clear progression of thirds,
etc., which he said he heard, went through the entire piano in about 30
minutes, after pulling the action two or three times to fix little things
along the way.  When I tested notes using a tuning of a Yamaha G1, using
TLPro, the tuning was very close to that curve.  I also showed Mr. Yli
what I called "extraneous noise" in the very top, as indicated by
multiple "spikes" in the graph, and he then said he has done harmonic
measurements in buildings, and understood the concept.    He was very
gracious, and appreciatve of my willingness to re-examine my tuning, and
I was rewarded to check it over and find only a few things that bothered
me, a month after the tuning.

This is a 1985 Sherman Clay SGD-2.

Any comments?  If willing to do so, please "cc" to Yli@dodi.com.
Thanks