Bridge pin spacing (was Baldwin SD-10)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:34:41 -0500

> One of the things I have
>wondered about is bridge pin row spacing (am I saying that right? - the
>distance from the front bridge pins to the back bridge pins) and how
>manufacturers decided on that spacing.

I guess that's right, or near enough for communication. I don't know if
there is  "official" nomenclature, but even if we have to make it up as we
go along, the ideas get across. In any case, as you probably suspected,
there's more aggravation to be had on this subject. The farther apart the
row spacing, the less precision required in lateral pin placement to
achieve a target stagger angle. The closer the spacing, the greater the
required precision. Meanwhile, if I was designing the bridge, I'd want the
pins in far enough from the edges for good support, yet close enough to the
edges to minimize the amount of wood I'd have to remove to cut the notches.
No sense making life harder than it has to be. That means that as the
bridge angle relative to the strings narrows, I'd increase the row spacing.
It takes a little more time and thought in planning and layout, but
anything that cuts down (sorry) notching labor is definitely my friend. I
make nice clean notches, mind you, it's just that I don't much enjoy doing
it. Maintaining the row spacing through the whole piano works fine too, but
you spend more time hunkered over a chisel producing it. Someday, a power
notcher.

Of course, if you are working with a re-capped bridge on a soundboard that
isn't being replaced, you can't mess around too much with row spacing
unless you want to rescale with the newly resulting speaking lengths. Not
that it's a problem, but it bears consideration. If by the happiest
circumstance, you're making your own bridges, you can correct the log
progression deviations across the treble breaks, smooth the transition
across the bass/tenor break, and generally build about anything the plate
will let you get in the piano. That's when it gets fun.

Ron N