Old Uprights

David Boyce David@bouncer.force9.co.uk
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:58:16 +0100

Hi folks,

Brian said "In terms of European Uprights add Bluther, Bechstein, August
Forster, Albert
Fahr, Carl Ecke and Ibach  to your list."

I think I'd also kinda like to add Weissbrod.  I've only come across two of
them: my own (which I bought from a retired police superintendant some
years ago) and a local client's.  Mine is 1930's, his 1920's. Both are
magnificent. They have a beautiful ornate cast frame with floral decoration
cast in the metal. I've not seen the like before.

The tone is huge, and there is that warm European sound.  Everything seems
to be of the highest quality, with the exception of a bit of odd scale
design at the start of the bichords. (String tension too high for the core
wire).
When I bought mine, it hadn't been played for a long time. I had to
re-centre virtually the whole (Renner) action as all the centres were
extremely stiff. It responded very well.

Best wishes,

David Boyce
David@piano.plus.com