Hammer Juice Solvents, Alcohols, Long

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:43:29 -0400

At 8:37 PM -0700 9/7/01, Susan Kline wrote:
>>......<snip> and when they evaporate rapidly, will chill the area drawing
>>moisture from the air--more so in humid climates. This moisture has
>>the potential to release the press in the wool!
>>  (Re:  Susan Kline's correct"steam in a bottle" comment on 04 Sep
>>2001 18:30:15)

>Thank you so much for providing this explanation, Earl. I didn't realize
>that 190 proof alcohol would also act like steam due to its lowering the
>temperature by evaporation.

Each temperature comes up with a way of dispatching the surface
tension of water. In the low temperature method, the alcohol already
has neutralized the water's surface tension by the time it squeezes
the local moisture from the air. In the hot steaming, the water vapor
has no surface tension, and settles right into the wool. In 1992
Wally Brooks described acetone as a voicing tool. I could never
confirm this for myself, but it could be that I was trying this
during wood stove season. ayuh.

>I was describing the use of grain alcohol
>cut half and half with water for voicing ("vodka", more or less.) However,
>when I called it "steam in a bottle" I just described the effect it
>seemed to have, with only guesswork behind it.

>I'm delighted to find out
>the theory behind it. ("See, she wasn't so crazy after all ...")

Not on this matter at least.

>Thanks, also, for talking about the toxicity of methanol. I still don't
>understand why tuners seem so eager to use it in preference to ethanol.

Don't knock it until you've tried it, crushed, not stirred and with a
twist of fig fur.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I wish you kinda, like, good health"
     ...........NPR talk show host Terri Gross, responding to
"OutDoors" magazine correspondent John Krakauer's
tales of lost sleep and queasiness regarding his line of work,
after surviving a freak blizzard on Mt.Everest, which stranded
and killed several in his climbing party.