Hammer Juice Solvents, Alcohols, Long

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 00:30:37 -0500

Earl,

    I have a question for you about using naptha and Baldwins silicone oil,
(their recepie) to "treat" sluggish flanges. My friend Newton, strongly
disapproves of using this mixture, because of the chance that the silicone
will make its way into the pinblock, etc.
     Baldwin sells about 1/2 a pint of silicone oil, with instructions to
mix it with one gallon VM&P naptha. I have been squirting it on flanges for
many moons. Newton thinks I should be shot. Aside from silicones reputation
for causing refinishing (fish-eye) problems, do you have any knowledge of
its properties, for example, to migrate from the hammer shank flanges, to
the pinblock, in a vertical piano?

Thanks,

Dan