Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 11:02:22 -0400

Hi Willem. I don't agree with you (although my stand on that is fairly =
soft), but I do appreciate your willingness to express a differing =
opinion. Do you still feel that way considering that the piano is still =
under warranty? Part of my reasoning in mentioning the false beats to =
him is that the entire top two octaves were impossible to tune to get a =
clear sound. My fear is that someone will play this piano, play up high, =
and think "oh, my - I thought you just had this piano tuned - it sounds =
horrible up here". He called me to tune his piano and I cannot tune 25% =
of the notes anywhere near my standards. I feel reluctant to walk away =
without explaining why.

If you knew nothing about cars, and brought your car in for a tuneup. =
You didn't really notice how bad the thing runs until your neighbor went =
up to the grocery store with you an commented about it. They guy tunes =
it up as best he can, but it is still miss-firing a bit because of a =
poorly seating exhaust valve. THE CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY. Would you =
want the mechanic to point this out to you?=20

I would.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 10:15 AM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

  In a message dated 9/7/01 6:03:44 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    The owner is a intermediate piano player at best. He has not said =
anything=20
    about it to me. This killer octave thing to me is real, but its =
cause is a=20
    bit fuzzy, because I have never fixed one. What is the consensus =
here -=20
    should I point it out to the owner and suggest he may want to =
initiate a=20
    warranty claim (snip)

    Waddaya think?

  My opinion is that you should keep your mouth shut. You shouldn't have =
even=20
  pointed out the false beat problems in the upper octave.=20

  If this customer is indeed an intermediate player, and he was =
satisfied with=20
  the piano when he bought, obviously he didn't hear any problems. So =
why point=20
  them out to him.=20

  He probably has a restriction on how much he could spend for a piano. =
He=20
  might have thought long and hard to buy a "grand." But I'm sorry, for =
you to=20
  come in and point out problems on this brand new instrument is not in =
the=20
  best interest of the customer.=20

  Just my opinion=20

  Willem=20