Killer Octave

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 14:51:33 -0500

>Ron,
>I came late in the discussion about soundboard springs when it was being
>talked about last. I've caught tail-ends of this discussion in the past but
>never got the whole gist of the spring.   Could you elaborate the spring
>concept and describe physically how and where these would be installed?
>Tom Servinsky,RPT

Tom,
This was something Del said he experimented with briefly some years back. A
few automotive valve springs are mounted on supports between beams,
positioned underneath the soundboard along the bridge line, boosting the
inadequately stiff soundboard up to try to get some tone back. He reported
some improvement, but apparently nearly got lynched for soundboard heresy
before he got too far into the research.

Ron N