Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 16:52:04 -0400

OK, thanks.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 2:02 PM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

  In a message dated 9/8/01 10:09:48 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    Hi Willem. I don't agree with you (although my stand on that is =
fairly=20
    soft), but I do appreciate your willingness to express a differing =
opinion.=20
    Do you still feel that way considering that the piano is still under =

    warranty? Part of my reasoning in mentioning the false beats to him =
is that=20
    the entire top two octaves were impossible to tune to get a clear =
sound. My=20
    fear is that someone will play this piano, play up high, and think =
"oh, my=20
    - I thought you just had this piano tuned - it sounds horrible up =
here". He=20
    called me to tune his piano and I cannot tune 25% of the notes =
anywhere=20
    near my standards. I feel reluctant to walk away without explaining =
why.=20

    If you knew nothing about cars, and brought your car in for a =
tuneup. You=20
    didn't really notice how bad the thing runs until your neighbor went =
up to=20
    the grocery store with you an commented about it. They guy tunes it =
up as=20
    best he can, but it is still miss-firing a bit because of a poorly =
seating=20
    exhaust valve. THE CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY. Would you want the =
mechanic=20
    to point this out to you?=20

    I would.=20

    Terry Farrell  =20

  Terry=20

  If the customer, or his neighbor, complained about the "bad tuning," =
or the=20
  lack of sound, and asked you to come back and tune it again, then I =
think you=20
  have the right to start pointing out the problems with the piano. At =
that=20
  point, you are being asked to identify a complaint he has about the=20
  instrument. And then I think your best bet would be to ask him to talk =
to the=20
  dealer, and let the dealer handle it from there.=20

  But for us, as technicians, to volunteer information that was not =
asked for,=20
  especially on a new instrument, is not warranted. When we have talked =
to each=20
  other about what to tell a customer who just bought an instrument, =
which is=20
  not the best, what you think of it, our answer is supposed to be "it =
looks=20
  nice," "it fits well in the room," "you got a great deal." Unless a =
customer=20
  specifically has a complaint about a piano he/she just bought, I would =
not=20
  offer any suggestions on what might be wrong with the instrument.=20

  On a new instrument, if there are complaints, tell the customer to go =
to the=20
  dealer. On a used piano, bought from a dealer, see the first sentence. =
If it=20
  was bought from a private party, then recommend solutions to the =
problem. But=20
  again, only if the customer complains. Other wise, it is best not to =
say=20
  anything.=20

  Again, just my thoughts on the matter.=20

  Willem=20