Killer Octave

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 10:46:19 -0600

Hi Ron O.

One of the nicest "cheapo" grands I have seen is a Young Chang 200 cm.
(G-200) It has a Steinway style "bell" at the treble end and each three
string unison has one looped and one tied string. It sounds great, and I'd
buy it in a "flash".

Of course--it is no longer made. Why would they want to have a success eh?
*grin*

At 11:43 AM 09/09/2001 +1000, you wrote:

>While on the topic of the killer zone, I suspect that the 'tone
>collector' of Steinway pianos might indeed be a 'tone dissipator'. If
>you check the location of the connection bolt from 'collector' to
>plate, you will notice that it connects adjacent to the so called
>'killer' zone, or should we say 'killed' zone. Just last week I
>crawled under a D to feel the movement at the collector bolt under
>heavy playing (try it - you'll be amazed). The next D I rebuild (if
>it ever happens again) will likely get another beam and set bolt in
>place of that suspect device. I'm not suggesting that the problem is
>the 'collector' alone, but I suspect it is contributing to the
>problem. It would be interesting to compare the Yamaha CFs with and
>without the tone collector. Gosh its good to see marketing dictating
>design as usual isn't it?
>
>I think I'll go before things get out of hand.
>
>Ron O
>--
>Overs Pianos
>Sydney Australia