Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:39:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/01 12:31:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

> Your customer is putting bread on your table,  you have a moral
> responsibility to them.   To have a CTE tell you to keep your mouth shut,
> came as a complete suprise to me.  I strongly disagree with this kind of
> ethic.   Is this is where PTG proffessional standards are heading?   I hope
> not.

Roger,

This has nothing to do with being a CTE. Please don't use that in your
arguments. I said what I did as a piano tech (RPT) with 25 years experience,
not as a CTE with 15 years giving exams. It is fine that you disagree with
me. I don't mind at all. That is what makes this forum interesting. But don't
bring other subjects into the arguments.

The comment of PTG Ethics is interesting. Our ethics state that we should
keep the best interest of the customer in mind. The question is, are we
keeping the best interest of the customer in mind when we mention possible
problems with their newly purchased instrument, or are we keeping our own
best interest in mind, by dazzling our customer with knowledge, knowledge
that perhaps the customer doesn't want to know? I think one problem less
experienced techs have is trying to impress customers with the amount of
knowledge they have. My opinion is that we should keep our knowledge to
ourselves until it is asked for. In the case of the possible soundboard
problem, or the wild string problem, if the customer hasn't noticed it, then
it is not a problem, and we should keep that information to ourselves.
Perhaps we can share it with the dealer, or even the manufacturer, that we
noticed a problem with wild strings, or a lack of power in the killer octave.
But then let it go. It is not our problem.

> t's how you handle the problem that is important.  Not should you handle
> the problem.  This not a used piano, and it does have a warranty.  The
> warranty is there to safe guard the customer so initiate the claim.

Before we tell the customer of the "possible" warrantee problem, shouldn't we
first talk to the dealer and/or manufacturer, before we mention the
"possible" problem to the customer who isn't even aware of the problem? The
lack of power and wild string issue we are debating is not a hidden problem
that could become a major defect later on. The customer has played the
instrument and apparently is satisfied with the sound he is getting. So why
bring up something he hasn't had a problem with?

Now if you discovered a crack in the plate, or loose hammer flange screws, or
another problem that could become a bigger problem down the road, that I
think we should bring to the customer's attention. But only to the point that
the customer should be told to go the dealer. I don't think this is something
we as technicians should be doing. We can help, when asked, and we can even
offer the dealer to fix the problem. But again, we should not be acting as
the customer's agent, and especially not to initiate action.

Wim