Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 21:02:28 -0500

> Roger,
>
> This has nothing to do with being a CTE. Please don't use that in your
> arguments. I said what I did as a piano tech (RPT) with 25 years
experience,
> not as a CTE with 15 years giving exams. It is fine that you disagree with
> me. I don't mind at all. That is what makes this forum interesting. But
don't

> bring other subjects into the arguments.

Hi Wim,
              My appologies, but it hit a nerve. After all you are looked
up to
in that capacity.

> The comment of PTG Ethics is interesting. Our ethics state that we should
> keep the best interest of the customer in mind. The question is, are we
> keeping the best interest of the customer in mind when we mention possible
> problems with their newly purchased instrument,

If the customer thinks they are placing their trust in a professional, and
they
are paying for that service,  do they have the right to know the truth.   I
think so.   The customers interest is having a piano functioning at factory
specs.

>  or are we keeping our own
> best interest in mind, by dazzling our customer with knowledge, knowledge
> that perhaps the customer doesn't want to know?

The customer does not want to know?     Yet they pay you for  professional
care for their piano.   So now you play God on behalf of the customer.   The
customer is paying you, so be honest and diplomatic.

>  I think one problem less
> experienced techs have is trying to impress customers with the amount of
> knowledge they have. My opinion is that we should keep our knowledge to
> ourselves until it is asked for.

Now you are saying don't educate the customer.  This is the approach of an
insecure person in my book.  I would never dream of concelling a serious
problem for long from a customer.

>  In the case of the possible soundboard
> problem, or the wild string problem, if the customer hasn't noticed it,
then
> it is not a problem, and we should keep that information to ourselves.

Children have a habit of advancing in their studies, and the problem will
become apparent, could be after the warranty period. Now in this case I feel
you have ripped the customer off.   They are now in the position of having an
expensive repair, or replacing the piano.
It is the technicians fault,  you have taken their money and kept silent.
You
have acted in your selfish interest not the customers. The dealer and
manufacturer may well have exchanged the piano, but for your silence.  Neither
can do a thing, for the customer if they do not know a problem exsist.

> Perhaps we can share it with the dealer, or even the manufacturer, that we
> noticed a problem with wild strings, or a lack of power in the killer
octave.

> But then let it go. It is not our problem.

This was my first suggested coarse of action, with the leverage of stating the
customer will be imformed if nothing is done.

>> t's how you handle the problem that is important.  Not should you handle
>> the problem.  This not a used piano, and it does have a warranty.  The
>> warranty is there to safe guard the customer so initiate the claim.
>

> Before we tell the customer of the "possible" warrantee problem,
shouldn't we

> first talk to the dealer and/or manufacturer, before we mention the
> "possible" problem to the customer who isn't even aware of the problem?

I agree this is the best solution.

> The
> lack of power and wild string issue we are debating is not a hidden problem
> that could become a major defect later on. The customer has played the
> instrument and apparently is satisfied with the sound he is getting. So why
> bring up something he hasn't had a problem with?

As stated above students have a way of advancing, and it does become a
problem.

> Now if you discovered a crack in the plate, or loose hammer flange
screws, or

> another problem that could become a bigger problem down the road, that I
> think we should bring to the customer's attention. But only to the point
that

> the customer should be told to go the dealer. I don't think this is
something

> we as technicians should be doing. We can help, when asked, and we can even
> offer the dealer to fix the problem.

> But again, we should not be acting as
> the customer's agent, and especially not to initiate action.

I would certain take exception to this statement,  Who then is going to be the
customers advocate? Where is the poor unfortunate customer going to get some
honesty?

I do agree with your thinking about not alarming the customer at the
beginning.   But we owe the customer the truth.  Dealers owe the customer a
correctly functioning piano.   Neither should take advantage of the customers
ignorance.

Just my view, perhaps I strive to treat customers, in a manner I would like to
be treated.

Roger