Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:11:13 EDT

Good discussion here huh?

Copula things we need to keep in mind when decicing to "tell the customer" or
not.............
First thing we have to do is determine who the customer is. Is it the dealer
or the consumer?
 If 'your' customer is the dealer than any comments to the 'consumer' other
than what is needed, for you to do what you were hired to do, are probably
out of line. This does not mean that you ignore any possible "warranty
problems" what it does mean is that you make the 'dealer' aware of them in
full and as soon as practicable after their discovery by you.
 To do otherwise puts you, the technician, in an untenable position both from
a practical economic standpoint and possibly from an ethical standpoint. This
point can be twisted and turned any way you want to with all the "coulda",
"shoulda", "woulda" and "poor customer" sentiments that anyone would care to
use.....but the fact will remain that it ain't your job 'yet'.

 I am not saying to ignore any real problems with any customers'/consumers'
instrument....... what I am saying is that you owe some loyalty to 'your'
customer and the way to show that loyalty in these cases is to report any and
all 'real' or 'potential' warranty issues 'fully' to the dealer first and
give them and opportunity to rectify the situation.......to do other wise is
unprofessional.....period.   Warranty issues are between
consumer/dealer/manufacturer and while we as techs have a role to play,
telling the consumer what a lousy piano they have without first
discussing/urging the dealer about it is 'not' that role.

 There are two types of issues involved when your customer is the 'dealer'.
One is when the "problem/issue' is raised by the consumer...the other is when
you have discovered a potential warranty issue.
 In the first case we should try to discern whether the consumer complaint is
valid and if so what the cause of it may be. If it is a problem that can't be
fixed by -on the spot- education of the consumer...such as "No Sir, no piano
has dampers past that point and there were none left out of your
piano"..........then you need to relay that information to the dealer and let
the consumer know that you are going to do so...............this puts the
ball in the dealers court, where it should be, as well as provides the dealer
with all the information you have...........this will allow the most amenable
conditions for resolution of any 'real' "warranty problems".

 If the consumer is your "customer".....the only thing that changes is that
your loyalty should rest there..............any possible "warranty" problems
is still between the consumer/dealer/manufacturer and the only role you play
is of consultant/representative of the consumer rather than the dealer. Under
no condition should you 'bad mouth' the dealer, the piano, the manufacturer
or the salesperson....I know, I know, there are times that such is deserved,
and possibly well earned :-), but doing so will decrease your value to your
customer.

 I suppose what I am saying is don't take a knife to a gun fight, don't take
a horse to a car race and don't run off at the mouth when you don't know
squat about any 'possible' agreements between consumer /dealer!
Be tactful, be professional and provide the best service/advice you can to
your real customers FIRST..be they dealer or consumer.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)