Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:55:01 -0400

Wim, I think there is a lot of grey area here. I find it very =
interesting to read contrasting responses to this topic. Regarding the =
following thought you have expressed:

"The customer has played the=20
instrument and apparently is satisfied with the sound he is getting. So =
why=20
bring up something he hasn't had a problem with? "

Could I not take this one step further:  have you ever suggested to a =
client that they consider voicing their rock-hard hammers? - have you =
suggested that they regulate the action to make the piano play more even =
and responsively. Might not loose bridge pins (that are under warranty =
and would presumably cost nothing to fix now) follow the same thinking?

Some of the posts on this thread have clearly pointed out that there are =
quite a number of ways of looking at such a situation and a number of =
different paths to pursue anything related to it. Thanks for your input =
Wim.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 2:39 PM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

  In a message dated 9/9/01 12:31:38 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:=20

    Your customer is putting bread on your table,  you have a moral=20
    responsibility to them.   To have a CTE tell you to keep your mouth =
shut,=20
    came as a complete suprise to me.  I strongly disagree with this =
kind of=20
    ethic.   Is this is where PTG proffessional standards are heading?   =
I hope=20
    not.

  Roger,=20

  This has nothing to do with being a CTE. Please don't use that in your =

  arguments. I said what I did as a piano tech (RPT) with 25 years =
experience,=20
  not as a CTE with 15 years giving exams. It is fine that you disagree =
with=20
  me. I don't mind at all. That is what makes this forum interesting. =
But don't=20
  bring other subjects into the arguments.=20

  The comment of PTG Ethics is interesting. Our ethics state that we =
should=20
  keep the best interest of the customer in mind. The question is, are =
we=20
  keeping the best interest of the customer in mind when we mention =
possible=20
  problems with their newly purchased instrument, or are we keeping our =
own=20
  best interest in mind, by dazzling our customer with knowledge, =
knowledge=20
  that perhaps the customer doesn't want to know? I think one problem =
less=20
  experienced techs have is trying to impress customers with the amount =
of=20
  knowledge they have. My opinion is that we should keep our knowledge =
to=20
  ourselves until it is asked for. In the case of the possible =
soundboard=20
  problem, or the wild string problem, if the customer hasn't noticed =
it, then=20
  it is not a problem, and we should keep that information to ourselves. =

  Perhaps we can share it with the dealer, or even the manufacturer, =
that we=20
  noticed a problem with wild strings, or a lack of power in the killer =
octave.=20
  But then let it go. It is not our problem.  =20

    t's how you handle the problem that is important.  Not should you =
handle=20
    the problem.  This not a used piano, and it does have a warranty.  =
The=20
    warranty is there to safe guard the customer so initiate the claim.

  Before we tell the customer of the "possible" warrantee problem, =
shouldn't we=20
  first talk to the dealer and/or manufacturer, before we mention the=20
  "possible" problem to the customer who isn't even aware of the =
problem? The=20
  lack of power and wild string issue we are debating is not a hidden =
problem=20
  that could become a major defect later on. The customer has played the =

  instrument and apparently is satisfied with the sound he is getting. =
So why=20
  bring up something he hasn't had a problem with?=20

  Now if you discovered a crack in the plate, or loose hammer flange =
screws, or=20
  another problem that could become a bigger problem down the road, that =
I=20
  think we should bring to the customer's attention. But only to the =
point that=20
  the customer should be told to go the dealer. I don't think this is =
something=20
  we as technicians should be doing. We can help, when asked, and we can =
even=20
  offer the dealer to fix the problem. But again, we should not be =
acting as=20
  the customer's agent, and especially not to initiate action.=20

  Wim=20