Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:57:48 EDT

baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

> Hi Wim,
>               My appologies, but it hit a nerve. After all you are looked
> up to in that capacity.

Apology accepted.

> >> The comment of PTG Ethics is interesting. Our ethics state that we should
>> keep the best interest of the customer in mind. The question is, are we
>> keeping the best interest of the customer in mind when we mention possible
>> problems with their newly purchased instrument,
>
> If the customer thinks they are placing their trust in a professional, and
> they are paying for that service, do they have the right to know the truth.
>  I think so.  The customers interest is having a piano functioning at
> factory specs.

Good point. But, what are factory specs? Perhaps the factory specs on this
4'6" piano are correct, but the sound produced is not what we think should be
coming from a piano. Unless you can prove that the factory didn't do the job
right, it's hard to fault them. We have to take into consideration what we
have to work with.

(snip)

> >> In the case of the possible soundboard
>> problem, or the wild string problem, if the customer hasn't noticed it,
>> then
>> it is not a problem, and we should keep that information to ourselves.
>
> Children have a habit of advancing in their studies, and the problem will
> become apparent, could be after the warranty period. Now in this case I
> feel you have ripped the customer off.  They are now in the position of
> having an expensive repair, or replacing the piano.

Whoa. If the customer bought an inexpensive piano because it is all they
could afford, and then the child become better and needs a better instrument,
is that our fault? In other words, I think we have to take each piano on it's
"as is" basis, not for what the potential is for the child. I often tell the
parents of children who are starting to learn on an older piano, that as the
child become better, the child will ask for a better instrument.  The same
can be said for a new, but inexpensive piano. Don't assume all children are
prodigies, and thus have to start on an expensive instrument.

>> the customer's agent, and especially not to initiate action.
>
> I would certain take exception to this statement, Who then is going to be
> the customers advocate? Where is the poor unfortunate customer going to get
> some honesty?
>
> I do agree with your thinking about not alarming the customer at the
> beginning.  But we owe the customer the truth.  Dealers owe the customer a
> correctly functioning piano.  Neither should take advantage of the
> customers ignorance.

As several other have stated, you are by far the exception to the rule when
it comes to dealer/customer relations. I was the same way. I wanted to know
about problems. Unfortunately, not all dealers are like that. And when we
complain, we will get on the wrong side of the dealer. this is unfortunate.

With as much time and money the manufactures spend on educating us, and
putting on parties at the convention, one thing I wish the manufacturers
would do is educate the dealers more. I don't know if there is anything they
can do, but perhaps if the techs could "complain" about dealers to the
manufacturers, with fearing retaliation, perhaps we can get better dealer
service. Unfortunately, too often the manufacturer is looking at the amount
of pianos being sold, and not at the amount of service provided.

> ust my view, perhaps I strive to treat customers, in a manner I would like
> to be treated.
>
> Roger

Same here

Wim