Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:48:23 -0500

> Does it follow that if a client buys a cheap
>piano it all comes back to "you get what you pay for"?  There might be any
>number of
>things we would consider a warranty problem in a fine piano, but not in a
>cheap one. True or not?

This is a generic spew Clyde, not specific to you, but since you brought it
up. Do you always get what you pay for? Don't you too often, think you paid
for something you in fact, didn't get? Aren't we, in fact, looking down our
noses at the sad ignorant fools who actually thought they would get a
decent piano for their money when we think like this? Aren't we the sad
ignorant fools when we go shopping for something we don't know enough about
to protect ourselves, and don't we resent having someone in the process
look down their nose at us instead of educating us? I do. It shouldn't cost
more to put a decent soundboard and bridges in a cheap piano than in a good
one, and as long as we're willing to shrug off the same dysfunctions in
cheap pianos that we puff up and become noisily self righteous about in
expensive ones, it won't change - ever. Are our standards that closely
keyed to ticket prices, or is it just fallboard names? The fact that these
identical problems exist at all in expensive pianos would seem to indicate
that the potential buyer can't trust any presumed correlation between price
and quality. They are buying the cheap instrument in the first place
because they haven't the knowledge to know what to look out for, and if
they don't know enough about pianos to make an informed decision, where do
they go to get some? They can go to a professional technician that may not
know the difference between voicing, structural and design problems, or
they can buy from the salesman that seems the most sincere, or wears the
spiffiest suit. They can take a poll among their friends, or ask their
piano teacher who is giving lessons on a Cable Nelson spinet. In all cases,
it's still a blindfolded crapshoot if they can't get accurate and
trustworthy information on which to base a decision. Who they gonna call?

>We might think a manufacturer of anything shouldn't make inferior merchandise,
>period.  But as long as there's a market for it, it'll be out there.

And again, as long as it's tolerated and excused as inevitable, there will
be a market for it. Yea, I know. More ravings from the cheap seats.

Ron N