Bridge Repairs ?

Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:28:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 10, 2001 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: Bridge Repairs ?

> Oh yes, these little wonders have been around for many many many years.
Almost
> every old tool box I've bought from tuners' estates has at least a couple
of
> them. They're usually in the bin with the bronze tuning pin bushings,
> soundboard toggles, and rusty 6/0 tuning pins. They are still in the most
> recent APSCO catalog, so Schaff is now the proud source. They might
actually
> work, but I've never installed one, and the ones I've seen installed
certainly
> didn't, so I can't say for sure. I can't seem to find mine (saved
somewhere for
> inclusion in my own estate eventually (later, rather than sooner,
hopefully)),
> and I don't remember exactly, but aren't those three rows of stamped
"pins"
> vertical?
>
> Ron N

OK. It's confession time.

I have used them. Twice. Both times it was on an old upright just next to
the brace that cuts through the tenor/treble bridge and there was simply no
room--i.e., not enough wood--for the pins to hold. They had badly split the
bridge on both sides of the plate brace. It would not have done any good to
put fresh wood in there, it simply would have split again. So, I took out
the six pins on each side of the brace, repaired the assorted cracks,
plugged the pin holes and carefully chiseled down the bridge cap by the
thickness of the (whatever those devices are called), drilled the two
appropriate holes and epoxied those little suckers in place. To the best of
my knowledge they are still holding after, lo, these many years.

Freshly repaired and reinforced flame suit on and zipped up...

Del