The best it can be

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:05:48 -0400 (EDT)

   May I add/agree that perhaps the best it can be
is indeed just to keep it simple.

  Perhaps, by striving for something that is not there
to get, we may fatigue and frustrate ourselves into a
state where the quality actually goes down.

  I use to fuss over every crazy test and seldom
be happy. One day I decided to simplify things.  Just
tune it, fourths and fifths are enough. Amazingly,
other things fall into place most of the time. Leave
any fuss for last pass if required, if of benefit.

  Don't get me wrong, I love fussing, I pick away.
But it does not help the quality on a pitch raise,
or on cheap,old,funky instrument.
And, its just a tuning.
All things are not solved by tuning.

  It has been said(Coleman I think), you can tune
it better twice fast then you can fight with it once.

  May I add. We can tune it a "basic" piano better
with basic techniques. Say stress free. I did a series
of school pianos real quick and relaxed last week.
Its just a tuning. Went back to listen. I think I
actually did a better job then last time I did those
same instruments.

  Perhaps I was just getting to far "inside" some
funky sounds/conflicts too often. I reached a point
where I can, therefore I should. But this does not
make it better, in fact it can hinder optimum tuning.

  We should always strive for the best it can be.
But we may never achieve this by over analyzing an
imperfect instrument........balance is good......

balance is......well......still looking.....

                              Still learning

                              Dave Renaud
                              RPT
                              Canada