Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:14:47 -0400

Hi Wim. I have a couple questions for you. I think you have done some =
rebuilding in your time (???). Let's say you recap a long bridge on a 50 =
year old Steinway M (and do whatever else you normally do on a restring =
job) and you recap a long bridge on a 50 year old Cable-Nelson 5' 8" =
grand (and do whatever else you normally do on a restring job). Both =
customers come back to you and inform you that there are prominent false =
beats in the top two octaves and the bridge pins appear loose. Then they =
demonstrate by sounding the note - false beats. Then they place a brass =
rod on top of bridge pins and apply slight pressure and sound note - =
clear tone. Do you feel there is a problem? Do you feel you should fix =
it?

My guess is you will say yes to both these questions, and that is why I =
call this a defect.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 12:57 PM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

  In a message dated 9/9/01 9:16:54 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:=20

    Hi Wim,=20
                 My appologies, but it hit a nerve. After all you are =
looked=20
    up to in that capacity.=20

  Apology accepted.=20

      The comment of PTG Ethics is interesting. Our ethics state that we =
should=20
      keep the best interest of the customer in mind. The question is, =
are we=20
      keeping the best interest of the customer in mind when we mention =
possible=20
      problems with their newly purchased instrument,

    If the customer thinks they are placing their trust in a =
professional, and=20
    they are paying for that service, do they have the right to know the =
truth.=20
     I think so.  The customers interest is having a piano functioning =
at=20
    factory specs.=20

  Good point. But, what are factory specs? Perhaps the factory specs on =
this=20
  4'6" piano are correct, but the sound produced is not what we think =
should be=20
  coming from a piano. Unless you can prove that the factory didn't do =
the job=20
  right, it's hard to fault them. We have to take into consideration =
what we=20
  have to work with.=20

  (snip)=20

      In the case of the possible soundboard=20
      problem, or the wild string problem, if the customer hasn't =
noticed it,=20
      then=20
      it is not a problem, and we should keep that information to =
ourselves.=20

    Children have a habit of advancing in their studies, and the problem =
will=20
    become apparent, could be after the warranty period. Now in this =
case I=20
    feel you have ripped the customer off.  They are now in the position =
of=20
    having an expensive repair, or replacing the piano.

  Whoa. If the customer bought an inexpensive piano because it is all =
they=20
  could afford, and then the child become better and needs a better =
instrument,=20
  is that our fault? In other words, I think we have to take each piano =
on it's=20
  "as is" basis, not for what the potential is for the child. I often =
tell the=20
  parents of children who are starting to learn on an older piano, that =
as the=20
  child become better, the child will ask for a better instrument.  The =
same=20
  can be said for a new, but inexpensive piano. Don't assume all =
children are=20
  prodigies, and thus have to start on an expensive instrument.=20

      the customer's agent, and especially not to initiate action.=20

    I would certain take exception to this statement, Who then is going =
to be=20
    the customers advocate? Where is the poor unfortunate customer going =
to get=20
    some honesty?=20

    I do agree with your thinking about not alarming the customer at the =

    beginning.  But we owe the customer the truth.  Dealers owe the =
customer a=20
    correctly functioning piano.  Neither should take advantage of the=20
    customers ignorance.

  As several other have stated, you are by far the exception to the rule =
when=20
  it comes to dealer/customer relations. I was the same way. I wanted to =
know=20
  about problems. Unfortunately, not all dealers are like that. And when =
we=20
  complain, we will get on the wrong side of the dealer. this is =
unfortunate.=20

  With as much time and money the manufactures spend on educating us, =
and=20
  putting on parties at the convention, one thing I wish the =
manufacturers=20
  would do is educate the dealers more. I don't know if there is =
anything they=20
  can do, but perhaps if the techs could "complain" about dealers to the =

  manufacturers, with fearing retaliation, perhaps we can get better =
dealer=20
  service. Unfortunately, too often the manufacturer is looking at the =
amount=20
  of pianos being sold, and not at the amount of service provided.=20

    ust my view, perhaps I strive to treat customers, in a manner I =
would like=20
    to be treated.=20

    Roger=20

  Same here=20