Tuneoff

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:15:47 -0500

I don't think yet another tuneoff will settle anything.  The first one=
 didn't, and the second one didn't either.  The "aural only" tuners are=
 convinced they can do MUCH better than a machine, so if the first two=
 tuneoffs were inconclusive, there must have been something wrong with the=
 evaluation process.  I think it would be great to have another tuneoff,=
 just to confirm the previous results.

One additional method of evaluation might be to confirm what each tuner is=
 attempting to do.  There is a wide range of acceptable and even great=
 tunings.  Octave stretch has a wide latitude depending on a person's=
 subjective preferences. Therefore, in addition to the traditional=
 evaluations used in the past, each tuner should declare what his/her=
 intentions were, and the tuning be measured as to how close they came to=
 what they intended to do.  Lets say one tuner says he/she is going to tune=
 4:2 octaves from F3 to C8, and 6:3 octaves from E3 to A0.  When the job is=
 done, each note can be measured to see if the intentions were carried out.=
  That way you'd not have a "it sounds pretty good" but a "the goals were=
 or were not met."  That's a little more objective.

dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts