Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:13:01 -0400

WOW! Thanks for the details. I must ask for just a few more. They appear
below, in your post. Thanks.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul" <tunenbww@clear.lakes.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer

> Del, Terry, List
>
> I've added water based lacquer to my finishing and along with it new
> equipment. I have a 5 hp compressor feeding an Asturo Spray Gun model BBS
> fitted with a 1.7mm tip. I sprayed the Oxford Premium Spray Lacquer right
> form the can. I did an ebony grand but used tinted clear rather than black
> lacquer. To me it has more depth.

Can you please provide details of what tinted clear is. Is this the clear
gloss PSL with some kind of black additive? If so, what? One of the
Trans-Tint dyes from Homestead?

> Since this was my first use of water
> based, I had expect some differences and got them. The gun allows you to
> control fluid, pattern And air pressure. Line pressure was controlled from
> the filters.

I don't understand the "Line pressure was controlled from the filters." What
kind of filters and where, and what kind of line pressure?

> The lacquer raised the grain a little but no worse than solvent
> based. Some air bubbles were evident but cured by adding about 2%
retarder.
> You can go up to 5% if necessary. This also improved flow out.

Is this the SA5 Retarder?

> At first my
> air pressure was too low, causing a coarse application, but it flowed out
> better than I thought it would.

With good lighting so that I could observe the mist, I have experimented
with different pressures in my Asturo ECO/S gun. It seems that if I go below
20 PSI at the gun base, it starts spitting a little bit - you can feel the
little droplets.

> I only sanded between the first and second
> coat with 3M's 216u FreCut Gold Sandpaper. One sheet did the entire 7'
> grand.

I take it this was to sand down any raised grain? What grit did you use?
(That FewCut Gold IS awesome!)

>Then I applied successive coats, increasing the air pressure until I
> got the desired atomization. This step is intuitive. I can't tell you
> pressures or feed rates, just practice. I built up about 8 coats about an
> hour apart, not sanding between them. There was a fine line between a full
> coat and sagging. But I was pleased with the flow out of each coat. I hang
> as many pieces as I can to reduce dust contamination.

When you say you hang pieces, do you mean that you spray them while they are
hanging in a vertical orientation? I have noticed that I get a lot better
results if I spray a horizontal piece. I had hung everything in the past -
the only thing that came out real nice with no orange peel was the
soundboard - I didn't even rub it out it looked so nice.

> The piano sat for 24
> hours, then cutting down and buffing began. Any sag or ruff spot was
easily
> leveled with the 216u backed with a wood block.

What was your schedule of grits? Was all the sanding by hand? Just out of
curiosity, how many hours sanding?

> After sanding, the finish
> was rubbed with 4F Pumice. I never cut through-save a couple of edges-and
> got 100% burn-in between all coats. I inspected the piano 8 days after
> delivery and found no change in the finish.
> My conclusions: It took me too long the come up with the right delivery.
>         I'm ordering a finer tip.

What size are you going for - 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5?

>         I'll be thinning the finish about 10%

Thinning with water? Or what?

> and use retarder about 2%.

This is in addition to the water (or whatever you answered above)?

>         Very low odor and over spray, greatly reduced the volume of
exhaust
> air.
>         Sands better than nitro-lacquer; seems to be a harder film.
>         The gun works well; very easy to clean, especially the fluid
filter.

I think your gun is basically the same as mine, only perhaps some different
materials for construction. Yes, indeed they are VERY easy to clean and
things do not seem to gum up like I experienced with my Accuspray.

>         The gun is very versatile; I think it will meet all needs
including
> spot finishing
>         I'll never use anything but 3M 216u sandpaper.

You got that right!