Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:16:22 -0400

Thanks Wim. I do see that there are two ways of looking at it. I =
appreciate all the responses to my post.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 10:13 PM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

  In a message dated 9/10/01 5:45:07 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    Hi Wim. I have a couple questions for you. I think you have done =
some=20
    rebuilding in your time (???). Let's say you recap a long bridge on =
a 50=20
    year old Steinway M (and do whatever else you normally do on a =
restring=20
    job) and you recap a long bridge on a 50 year old Cable-Nelson 5' 8" =
grand=20
    (and do whatever else you normally do on a restring job). Both =
customers=20
    come back to you and inform you that there are prominent false beats =
in the=20
    top two octaves and the bridge pins appear loose. Then they =
demonstrate by=20
    sounding the note - false beats. Then they place a brass rod on top =
of=20
    bridge pins and apply slight pressure and sound note - clear tone. =
Do you=20
    feel there is a problem? Do you feel you should fix it?=20

    My guess is you will say yes to both these questions, and that is =
why I=20
    call this a defect.=20

    Terry Farrell=20

  If I rebuilt both pianos the way you said, and if I got paid the same =
amount=20
  of money to do both pianos, and if both pianos left my shop without =
the false=20
  beats, and if the customers came back to me and noticed the false =
beats, (it=20
  wasn't pointed out to them by another tuner), yes I would fix the =
problem.=20
  But take any of the IFs out of there, and no, I wouldn't fix the =
problem.=20

  Jim said "when a customer has a choice of a 5 foot something piano =
that cost=20
  6,900=20
  dollars and a 5 foot something piano that costs 37,600 dollars...what=20
  criteria should the customer use for making the choice????."=20

  By the same token, what criteria should a manufacturer make when =
producing a=20
  $6900 piano and a $37,600 piano? As I said in my previous post, a =
company=20
  that is going to make $10,000 from the sale of an instrument is going =
to be=20
  able to spend more time on fixing problems than if they make only =
$3000. And=20
  a customer who buys that cheaper piano is not going to have the same =
criteria=20
  as the one buying the expensive one.=20

  You asked the question if you should tell your customer about wild =
strings=20
  and a lack of power in the killer octave. My answer, and that of =
several=20
  others, is no. That is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Someday,=20
  hopefully, you will understand why.=20

  Wim=20