It's been quite a day

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:15:14 -0400

I was already on my way to my first call today when I turned on the radio to
hear the traffic report.  The first plane had already hit the World Trade
Center and I envisioned some little piper cub off course.  Then the next one
hit and they were diverting the air traffic from New York to Washington,
D.C.  After a few moments, I just couldn't bear thinking of what Mahattan
was like so I turned off the radio.

I cannot begin to describe all the thoughts going through my mind.  It
somehow felt unamerican to proceed to work, yet at the same time it felt
unamerican not to try to act normal.  As I walked through the door of my
first tuning appointment today, I was informed that the Pentagon had been
hit.  Now it was personal as this is my town.

Both the client and myself had loved ones downtown.  There was another
hijacked plane still in the air and it was 15 minutes from the Washington,
D.C. area.  We were located between Camp David and the Capitol.We both
thought the plane should be shot out of the air even though we could be
under it. It s amazing how calm you get waiting for a plane to crash when it
is heading for you.  I kept thinking how glad I was that my family was
scattered all over town - that no matter what happened they wouldn't get ALL
of us!  Yet at the same time, you are grieving for the people on that plane.
Within moments, the plane crashed into a mountain far away.  I hope when the
facts come out, if they ever do, that we find out more about the pilot, crew
and pasengers who sacrificed their lives to save some of ours here in
Washington, D.C.

I cancelled all the rest of my tunings today, and headed home.
Unfortunately, the cell phones were not working and the land lines were
jammed, so I could not inform anyone they were cancelled!  The powers that
be were begging people to stay off the phone lines so they could be used for
all the emergencies that needed tended to.  It is  hard to describe the
incredible calm and bonding of the strangers around you when you can't go
anywhere or talk to anyone, by telephone.

I think a state of shock can bring out the best in people.  Everyone I met
today, both in traffic and the grocery store and bank, was going out of
their way to be patient and accomodating. People were actually car-pooling
with strangers to get out of town in the horrendous traffic.   In my
lifetime as an American, I really felt I had no personal reason to hate an
enemy; but today many of my neighbors and I  were all reconsidering!  My own
estimate is that more Americans died today than died during the 10-year war
in Vietman.  I hope to heaven I am wrong.

It was of some comfort to me later today, to go prep some Disklaviers.
Listening to the music of gondolas on the  sample disk reminded me the world
does not have be like this.

I do not know for sure, but I think we piano tuners in the Washington, D.C.
area are okay.  But I wish I could say the same for those in Manhattan.
Anybody hear anything?

Carol Beigel