Too Proud to Panic

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:53:19 -0400

The last 24 hours have made me really proud to be an American.  For a town
known worldwide for its bickering and partisanship; its ethnic and social
diversity; rat race and road rage;  we sure did ourselves proud yesterday!

No one I saw, panicked. The grocery stores were not emptied out, and no one
raised the price of gasoline.  The interstate highways were not clogged with
fleeing families.  The only people I know of who fled for cover was
Congress, but they had the decency to reappear on the steps of the Capitol
later in the afternoon.  Instead of rushing for cover, the people rushed to
help.  The Red Cross was quickly overwhelmed with blood donors. Someone hung
an American flag from an overpass on Interstate 95.  Rich and poor, the
mighty and the ordinary stood their ground, calmly and together.  When it
counted, we stood as one people - too proud to panic!

Today we are starting to resume our lives.  Galas have been cancelled, but
prayer breakfasts are being scheduled.  Games are being postponed, but
special church services are scheduled in their place.  And to the credit of
better people than myself, my friends and neighbors are not screaming for
murderous, widespread revenge.  We Americans are certainly an interesting
and wonderful breed!

Carol Beigel
10 miles East of the White House