Dont know what to say

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:11:03 -0400

Following is a private message sent to me by Elian Degen.  I am reposting it
because he has expressed such wonderful sentiments for us all.

	with love for all, Newton

Dear Newton

> > > ? How could humans do such a thing ?

I preffer to respond to your email privately, if you wish you can post it
later

Here in Caracas, we are still in shock, Myself I still feel its a bad dream
and tomorrow will be another day.  We, as most of the people around the
world cannot even imagine this kind of  behaivor still it exists.

Since yesterday all news networks have been busy transmitting the news of
what happened. Today I had the opportunity to talk to a Sociologist and he
gave me the clue.

Human beings, as you see them are capable of anything, The vast majority of
the worlds population since we are very small have been taught either
chistianity or even Judaism were you not only have to respect others, but
also to help them and to be humanitarian but here you have some people which
are fundamentalists (Islamic fundamentalists I think it is) and who from
very early age are taught that the real life is near Ala and not in this
world, more, the rest of the world they are all unfaithful and should be
punished and the more unfaithfull people they can kill bigger will be their
prize in Heaven ( And I am not talking about the whole Islamic culture, just
those fanatics, I truly hope is not the same for all of them so God help us)
Acording to this sociologist, this people will die happily the more people
they can take with them.

> We did this to ourselves.

Sorry to say so, but I do not agree with you at this point.

> I am angry.  You cannot blame a monkey for being a monkey, terrorists are
what
> they are and nothing can change that, they are simply unsane.  I am angry
at our
> government for not knowing this was being set up and angry at our policy
of
> appeasement, our arrogance, our complacency, our permissiveness.

Let me tell you first, that your policies, Israel, etc. etc are just an
excuse. The real point is that U.S. is now a day the most powerful nation in
the planet, apart from that being a fact, you cannot blame yourselves for
it, as if you well know your country history, YOU very well earned it with
years and years of hard work and discipline. That is the same as to say when
in high school that you are not going to be the best student only to not
make angry your envious classmates, if you do that you end up progress.

So as I was saying what this terrorists claim about you protecting Israel or
policies is just an excuse, truth is that you are the most powerful nation,
built by unfaithfull people and giving an example to the rest of the world.
If they, the real faithful people can totaly demoralize you and destroy your
simbols, they will show the world that they are the chosen ones and GOD HELP
US ALL if that happens.

That is way I am sure it will not stop with you, The moment you show them
any weakness, they will direct their "Cruzade" to all other nations in the
world.

My message to you is, keep up the high spirit, keep up the good work, and to
your Government, now is the time to call upon all nations governments to
unite against this enemy, and destroy it without Mercy. Laws must be
stiffer, terrorist should not be shown compassion by "Human rights
associations" (as it happened in the past) nor be pardoned or released at
any time, bear in mind, they do not think as we do.

Remember when we had the flood in Venezuela? fatalities here seem a joke
compared to what this people did yestarday, The Viet-Nam war? almost the
same.

Nobody in the world should allow such attrocities, and whatever I tell you
now, I still feel short for what I feel at this moment.

Maybe, the real U.S. sin, is being too soft with this kind of people.

Cannot say any more at the moment, even though my head is full of things to
be said, but they are too painfull.

Maybe is the "artistic fiber" but I always had difficulty in dividing the
world by regions, I see you the same as I see all groups of people so the
people at the towers, in the airplanes ... I could not see them as Americans
or  Spanish or whatever, I just saw them as You and me, as a lot of people
with families, with their own problems going to work to earn a living or
going on holidays most of them not messing with anyone else. And if you
think of them like that it makes it even more painful

Better stop now. That is my comment

Elian Degen