Dont know what to say

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:52:46 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/01 10:24:25 PM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

> This talk of "everything is changed" bothers me> 'If' everything changes
> then "they" shall have won..... whoever the heck "they" are and whatever
> the
> heck "won" means.

I discussed the terrorist attack with my students. It is interesting to hear
their response to this. Some mostly the women, didn't want retaliation. The
men, for the most part, wanted to destroy. But when I asked them what we
should destroy, they really had no definitive answer.

I do want to say this, in support of what Jim just said. The primary goal of
the terrorist is to disrupt America, in every way. Not that we shouldn't
recognize the terrible tragedy, but when we change our way of living, cancel
events, and overall, do things differently, then "they" will have
accomplished what they set out to do.

I disagree that the NFL canceled all the games this weekend, and that the ML
canceled games until Friday. Some of the other baseball and football players
are saying that football and baseball are "just a game." Even though they
are, they are more than that. Professional sports have become part of our way
of life. Football and baseball players are earning a living. And just as the
rest of us have to continue with our lives, and continue making a living, so
are the players. The professional sports people are not the only ones making
a living off the sport. The concession workers, the parking attendants, the
security people, etc., etc., all count on these games to make a living. But
unlike a football player who makes $10,000's per game, some of these others
are making just enough to put food on the table for the next week.

The sooner the US can get back to "life as normal" as possible, the sooner we
will have overcome the objective of the terrorist. Again, we shouldn't ignore
the tragedy. We have to recognize that a terrible loss has occurred. But we
also cannot let them "win." Because that is when we "loose."

Wim