September 11, 2001

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:49:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/01 1:20:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net (Joseph Garrett) writes:

> List,
> As I sit in front of my computer, late for my first appointment of the day,
> I search for the words that I need to get out.

Me too, Joe.  I am stunned, to say the least, haven't been able to do much at
all.  But when I saw your title, "September 11", I finally had to say
something.  It was, in fact, my birthday.  I am now age 49.  The birthday
presents remain unopened, the dinner out at a restaurant canceled.

The music festival I usually attend at this same time each year is also
canceled.  One of the artists who always has an exhibit there also has his
birthday the same day.  It just doesn't seem right to have the baseball and
football games or the music festival where people are dancing, singing,
eating, drinking and celebrating life and culture in light of what those who
hate our way of life have done.

I hadn't turned on the TV that morning as I usually do because I was running
a little late but when I got in the car, the news was so shocking that it was
reminiscent of Orson Wells' "War of the Worlds".  Unfortunately, it was not
Halloween nor any kind of hoax.  It was real but too difficult to believe.  I
went to the first appointment where the TV was on and I asked for it to be
kept on.  I saw one of the towers fall like a house of cards.  How could this
be happening????  I could do no more work that day.

But it did happen and from now on, September 11 will be a day *NO ONE* will
ever forget.  Greetings of "Happy Birthday!" seemed all too inappropriate.

After an appropriate period of shock and grief, however, the best we can all
do is carry on.  I remember the complaints of some recently about not being
able to carry technician tools on board.  I have always understood the reason
why security frowned upon this and accepted the fact that they should be in
checked luggage.  Even though I travel often, I have never had a real
problem, never lost anything, only once was there a delay of about 18 hours.

My guess is now that everyone will have to accept the restrictions against
tools as carry-ons.  No ifs, ands or buts, no exceptions, don't even ask for
one.  Be glad that you are alive and will get there safely, tools or no
tools.  They are replaceable, the insurance for them is cheap.  Don't carry
expensive, unique items, just your basic items that you will need on this
trip.

I also suggest that everyone be behind the President and whatever decision is
made about a response to this.  There may be some kind of military response
that otherwise may have seemed shocking but if terrorism is to be stopped, it
must be dealt a far more stunning blow than it has delivered.  The world
cannot live in peace until this kind of threat has been eradicated.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin