some thoughts on the attacks

isaacah isaacah@sprint.ca
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:06:43 -0400

I still can't take it in, can't comprehend it.  I don't think I'll ever =
be able to.  My thoughts keep going from the grief to what has to be =
done to punish, to prevent a recurrance.  These thoughts are easier, =
emotionally, to deal with.  Frnny, I'm not angry because I grew up in =
Israel where we were always under attack by Arabs of one kind or =
another.  Arabs, at one time, had the greatest, most enlightened =
civilization in the west, far more so than Europe but the enlightenment =
has long since been replaced by religious fanaticism feeding on and =
therefore nurrishing rank ignorance and hatred of anything foreign, =
Christian, viz the massacres of Lebanese Christians (30000 of them) in =
the 1970s by the Moslem PLO, or Jewish.  I know that, unhappily, the =
language in which Moslem leaders and rulers speak and act is the =
language of massacre and slaughter.  I don't hate Arabs but I know their =
culture. I also know that terrorism has been a constant feature of =
Moslem history right from the beginning; Mohamed and, later Ali, his =
son-in-law were assassinated by terrorists, an early Moslem ruler of =
Persia sent terrorists to murder a Saracene ruler in Jerusalem in the =
eighth century and so on down the centuries. =20
People will say that the attacks in New York took place because of the =
Palestinians' struggle - - nothing could be further from reality.  =
Remember the Mahdi of Omderman in the Sudan? The fanatic Moslem leader =
whose ragtag army killed and beheaded the British general Kitchener, =
remebr the so call national guards, Iranian Moslem fanatics who took 52 =
Americans hostage and kept them for more than a year? Moslem terrorism =
goes back a long way and will go on for a long time and there'll always =
be a convenient hook, like the Palestinians, to hang it on.
I don't think terrorism, any more than murder, can be stopped but, like =
murder, you can put a dent in it, you can slow it down, you can control =
it if...  only if you're up to causing the terrorists and there =
paymaster (Saudi Arabia and Iran) and those who harbor them so much pain =
as to make it unpalletable for anyone to harbor, pay for or volonteer =
without thinking twice.  thinking twice means they would probably not  =
do it because they would be sure of the consequences.
We, Americans, Canadians, are not people who enjoy killing, we used to, =
more than we do now.  We have come a good deal closer to finding other =
ways to get along.  There are times, I'm convinced, we will need to show =
to what extent we value our life, the lives of the thousands of victims =
in New York and Washington, the lives of our loved ones by killing those =
who do kill and who would gladly kill us.  We did it in the first and =
second world wars for a good and worthy cause, we did it in Vietnam for =
no cause and now...

Ari Isaac.           =20