I am angry: was Re: I am frightened

Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:36:12 -0700

Though there is great danger of overreaction to the current crisis, =
normal rules of engagement do not apply in all circumstances.  It is =
naive to think that we can assemble a public quorum to fight an enemy =
that operates using such desperate and clandestine methods.  I can only =
imagine the 6:00 news: "Bush plans secret attack on Bin Laden".  Though =
I have been as cynical as any about the methods of government in the =
past, there are times when duplicity and secrecy may be necessary to =
protect oneself.  We value our  free and open society, but we forget =
that we have in the past protected that openness
with secret operations, manipulation and murder.  Our call for freedom =
of information has come with the naive belief that it comes at no cost.  =
We abhor international dirty tricks to take down malignant leaders, but =
we call for the random bombings for entire countries who might harbor =
our fugitive.  We tie the hands of US intelligence and we blame them for =
not knowing in advance.  We operate in the post cold war as if no one =
would dare.  We, afterall, are the most mighty.  We have the largest =
army that marches together in step.  We have the biggest ships, the =
fastest aircraft and the most powerful missiles.  We can flex our =
muscles and show our strength.  Well, sometimes the most powerful =
weapons are those unseen and unreported.  We seem to have
lost the stomach for that.

David Love