harpsichord and piano forte help

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:29:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/01 9:22:22 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu writes:

> Wim,
>  Are these strings brass or look like brass?  If so I would check the=20
> composition of the metal.  My experience is with brass looking wire, which=
=20
> was another metal that was low tension.  I can=E2=80=99t remember  but it=20=
was call=20
> phorphorous something>   The strings in the low bass area have been=20
> replaced.  However the sound timbre has changed.

The bass strings are "brass" and are the ones, for the most part, that are=20
breaking. One thought I had on this is that there are three notes with .025=20
brass strings. I don't have any more of that size, but I do have .024 in=20
steel. Would that be a good substitute, or does the timbre change too much?

>     Enjoy harpsichord work !    As Avery points out,  this is part of=20
> University work that isn=E2=80=99t in the manual.  How were the harpsichor=
ds=20
> maintained before you arrived?   My position is that the harpsichordist an=
d=20
> student players should know how to maintain, tune, and regulate their own=20
> instrument.  Being that the adjustments and tuning change before you  put=20
> your hammer away,  the performers need to be able to do their own=20
> maintenance.  Between regularly scheduled maintenance  -  keep in tune....
> Joel
>=20
I was told the previous tuner did tune them, but I have a feeling he only=20
tuned them when someone said it needed to be done. I plan, from now on, to=20
tune the h'chords and the fortepiano on a regular, once every other week=20
basis, whether they get used or not. (plus, of course, before a concert).=20
Because of the bad shape they were in, I put a note by each one that no one=20
is supposed to try to tune them, and that if someone does want it tuned, or=20
if a string breaks, they are supposed to fill out a piano repair form. I=20
guess I need to find out who the h'chord players are, and perhaps give them=20=
a=20
lesson on tuning etc.=20

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.=20

Wim