Benefit Concert

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:22:26 -0600

Hi Folks.

On Monday night the Canadian Country Music awards were held in Calgary,
with many well-known performers here to participate. Most were scheduled to
return to Eastern Canada and Nashville on Tuesday morning, and stood in
shock with the whole world while they watched the tragedy in New York
unfold.  They were among the millions of others everywhere in North America
who had to seek shelter somewhere far from home, desperately wanting to do
something to help.

Twenty-four hours after the disaster began, actor and singer-songwriter Tom
Jackson along with other members of the Canadian Country Music Association
started making phone calls, including one to me, in an effort to put on a
benefit concert that night starting at 7:30. The Jubilee Auditorium and
staff, the IATSE members who man the stage, about 50 musicians, singers and
songwriters and even the piano tuner banded together to put on an impromptu
show. Admission to the 2,750 seat concert hall
(http://www.saja.com/southern where I service the pianos) was free, with
donations going to the Canadian Red Cross to aid in US relief. For the full
story, please go to
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/story.asp?id={5EE14DF8-D15C-4A64
-92B0-A5AF97AFDBB3}

(I hope that link comes out... if not, see
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/  and look for the story called
"Country Stars Sing From The Heart" by Heath McCoy)

At last report the benefit concert raised about $64,000 CDN with more still
coming in.  Calgary native and now Nashville resident Paul Brandt donated
two of his guitars, which were auctioned off for a total of $12,500.

On a related note, I've placed a banner on my WWW site that allows you to
make a donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund through
amazon.com. So far they have collected more than 4 million dollars. If
anyone wants to put one on their site email me and I'll tell you how to add it.

God Bless America and the World.

		John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto:john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom