some thoughts on the attacks

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:41:35 -0700

DBee840388@AOL.COM wrote:

> Paul  I wonder about not eliminating the terrorists - I really don't
> think they're up to us using love and kindness to change their world
> and ours.  What makes me worry is that by not taking strong, decsive
> action, will it simply embolden them to push forward and bring
> chemical and biological weapons into play where maybe millions of us,
> you and I, and of course, our cherished loved ones included, will be
> lost.

Don,

I certainly am not advocating love and kindness toward terrorists!
However, strong, decisive action will not dissuade them from using
chemical and biological weapons if they have the means and will to do
so.  Furthermore, their latest success will bring them armies of
volunteers.  So will our retaliation.  Remember the Alamo?

If we want to fight terrorism, we should first try to make sense of it
and then try to address the cause.  Perhaps if we stop trying to prop up
corrupt regimes who crush their people in order to provide cheap labor
and natural resources to American companies, the pool from which
terrorists recruit their martyrs will dry up.  Perhaps if we stop
providing some nations with the means and support to destroy other
nations in disputes that ought to be none of our business, we will earn
the respect of both.

We know how they will react to our revenge by looking at the way we
react to theirs.

Paul Larudee