some thoughts on the attacks

Sat, 15 Sep 2001 09:29:48 -0700

Justice, not vengeance, and defense must precede any attempts to reason =
with unreasonable people.  The defense against terrorism cannot be won =
by a single battle.  It must be the constant attention to small fires =
that flare up again and again.  There is no avoiding it and we mustn't =
think that at some point it ends and our job is done.   Acting or not =
acting out of fear is not the way to proceed.   But the response should =
be well thought out, delivered with calm reason and a long term =
commitment.  We as Americans tend to become complacent.  My fear is that =
we will deliver what we think is some massive coup de grace and then go =
back to our old ways.  Life has changed but life must stay the same.  We =
owe it to ourselves, our country and the world to recapture some sense =
of normalcy, to go back to our business.  But we must be resolute that =
such an event, or worse, will not happen again.  =20

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: larudee@pacbell.net=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Cc: Mehrene Larudee=20
  Sent: September 15, 2001 8:41 AM
  Subject: Re: some thoughts on the attacks

  DBee840388@AOL.COM wrote:=20
    Paul  I wonder about not eliminating the terrorists - I really don't =
think they're up to us using love and kindness to change their world and =
ours.  What makes me worry is that by not taking strong, decsive action, =
will it simply embolden them to push forward and bring chemical and =
biological weapons into play where maybe millions of us, you and I, and =
of course, our cherished loved ones included, will be lost.
  Don,=20
  I certainly am not advocating love and kindness toward terrorists!  =
However, strong, decisive action will not dissuade them from using =
chemical and biological weapons if they have the means and will to do =
so.  Furthermore, their latest success will bring them armies of =
volunteers.  So will our retaliation.  Remember the Alamo?=20

  If we want to fight terrorism, we should first try to make sense of it =
and then try to address the cause.  Perhaps if we stop trying to prop up =
corrupt regimes who crush their people in order to provide cheap labor =
and natural resources to American companies, the pool from which =
terrorists recruit their martyrs will dry up.  Perhaps if we stop =
providing some nations with the means and support to destroy other =
nations in disputes that ought to be none of our business, we will earn =
the respect of both.=20

  We know how they will react to our revenge by looking at the way we =
react to theirs.=20

  Paul Larudee=20