some thoughts on the attacks

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 18:22:09 -0400

Friends,

I'll tell you what has been going through my mind regarding the current state of
affairs.

World War I started with the assassination of an Austrian archduke in 1914.  It
resulted in about 4,900,000 military deaths and about 3,150,000 civilian deaths,
a total of more than 8,000,000 people.  The cost including war expenditures,
property losses and merchant-shipping losses was about $194,000,000,000.

World War II started as a localized conflict in eastern Europe.  It resulted in
about 17,000,000 military deaths and about 25,000,000 civilian deaths, a total of
about 42,000,000 people.  The cost of war materials and armaments was at least
$1,154,000,000,000, and that does not include property losses, where the damages
were so massive that an attempt to estimate would be futile (information from the
encyclopedia).

Now we are again at war, according to President Bush.  Is there a chance that the
destruction and death of September 11 will result in military action that could
escalate into a war that will kill untold millions/billions and render the entire
world almost or entirely uninhabitable?  I hope not, but if there is a chance, do
we want to start in a direction where one thing leads to another and on and on?

Of course I don't have the answer.  Even if I did, no one is going to listen to a
piano technician from Rothsville anyway.  I am quite aware of the biblical
prophecy.  It has been misinterpreted so often that I can understand why some
hold it (indeed, the whole Book) in contempt while knowing little or nothing
about it.  I'll try not to get going on this subject, but my commitment to the
God who loves and cares makes it hard to refrain.

There have been frequent mentions of prayer on this list over the past five
days.  In our family we pray also for those in grief and for those who are
carrying on the rescue effort.  Let us also pray for the world governments, that
they will seek and receive wisdom from God as they decide on a course of action.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA