Square Grand Flanges/adjustable

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:03:17 -0700

Terry,
As I work on a lot of those cranky critters called Square Grands, I consider
the adjustable flange the best thing that came out of that "can o' worms".
<grin> Those flanges are very easy to adjust, but it takes practice, just
like everything else we do. I use a short thin bladed screwdriver. It takes
only a few minutes to get all of the hammer flange resistance where it needs
to be, which is essential to the playability of them. I have seen this
system used on a few Uprights also. Unfortunately, the production, of these
flanges, are/were very expensive to make, hence the idea was discarded. Alas
and alack! :-(
Please keep in mind that the resistance is needed for a more speedy, (?),
return of the jack to playing position. The proper amount makes the Square
Grand play better. Too little and the hammer bounces around like jello and
the jack gets confused. :-) Of course, too much and the dern thing hangs up.
Also, set the lost motion up as you would for a spinet. I hope this helps
any of you that have the intestinal fortitude to work on Squares.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, Oregon (that's Or-E-Gun)