Help for America

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:10:31 -0500

My dear Americans and friends of America worldwide,

I have become deeply disturbed on account of the atrocities carried out on the citizens of the United States.

My client had her small TV on and, although hard to see, I got the picture. This was a terrorist attack aimed at crippling the United States, its economy and its government. I worked fast, not knowing if I wanted to continue with the rest of my calls or go home and watch TV.

My second client, a piano teacher, was in tears having seen a mother looking for her missing child. I consoled her as best I could, but I still worked fast.

By the third appointment, I was almost an hour ahead of myself wondering if I would make the fourth. This lady's late husband had bequeathed to a couple of orphanages in India. She is a humanitarian and travels back and forth. A kitchen radio kept me in touch with the happenings.

All through the day I was torn between quitting and going on but I told myself, "If I quit, this is what these criminals want-- to shut down the economy." So I carried on and arrived at my fourth appointment 90 minutes ahead of time. When I reached home, I saw the replays of the horror from New York, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

What could I do t help? When I give blood, I pass out. When I'm in church, it's usualy to tune a piano. But what strikes me painfully is the devastation in Manhattan. What impresses me most is the bravery of those New York firefighters and the leadership of Mayor Rudy Giuliani..... the Mayor of a once, near bankrupt city.

I now know how I can help! There was a reason for my being guided to complete the day's schedule and not succumb to terrorism. If a colleague from Chapter 101 could look up an address for me, I will forward the day's gross receipts specifically for use by the NYC fire department.

I take pride in our Canadian government for sheltering close to 200 U.S.-inbound flights and of our citizens who circled the various airports throughout Canada offering accommodation in their homes. Even our Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team postponed setting up their training camp in St. John's, NFLD so as not to take up hotel space required for returning Americans.

When the world needs help, the United States comes to its aid. Now America needs help and I hope much of it comes from Canada.

God bless America and Americans, our closest friends.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario, Canada