customer not always right

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 15:21:29 -0700

Dave,

I try not to let a customer's ignorance eat into my free time, by doing
as much tuning and repair as I can by phone. Before I jump in the car to
fix a squeaky pedal, for example, I always ask what kind of shoes they
had on when they noticed the squeak. If the piano has suddenly "gone out
of tune", I always want to know more about what they mean. It's a big
flag that the person complaining is a novice player, but I've had even
experienced pianists become aware of something objectionable which,
before my visit, they were oblivious to. With cordless phones being so
ubiquitous these days, it's usually a simple matter for them to walk
over to the piano and play me what doesn't sound right. Often I can
identify and "fix" the problem in my office, saving myself a trip and
the awkwardness of whether or not I am to be paid.

Tom Cole