customer not always right

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:42:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/01 5:23:32 PM Central Daylight Time, tcole@cruzio.com
writes:

> With cordless phones being so
> ubiquitous these days, it's usually a simple matter for them to walk
> over to the piano and play me what doesn't sound right. Often I can
> identify and "fix" the problem in my office, saving myself a trip and
> the awkwardness of whether or not I am to be paid.

Case in point. Several weeks ago, when was in Alabama already, Jan tuned a
Steinway I had rebuilt for a customer who lives 2 hours from St. Louis. Two
days later she called and said a note was "sticking." Jan hadn't noticed
anything, so she called me and asked what to do. I though about it for a
while and speculated that after she took out the temperament strip, she
accidentally moved a damper head out of place, causing the note to "stick." I
had the customer go to the piano with her cordless phone and I asked her if
one of those small black blocks was out of line. She fixed it and the problem
was solved. It saved Jan a 4 hour trip.

Wim