attacks on the U.S.

isaacah isaacah@sprint.ca
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:31:30 -0400

Hi.

I am convinced the highest good in recorded history has been attained by =
the United States and its struggles to set up and strengthen democratic =
freedoms to a previously only dreamed of level. I don't want to loose =
them and I'm not talking about some restrictions in the interest of =
security. I want to share these thoughts with you, I think they bear =
mention.=20

It is being said, these days, that the attacks on the United States have

their source in the poverty and frustration in the Middle East, =
particularly

among the Palestinians.

There is poverty in the region, certainly. At the same time we =
conveniently

forget that the Middle East has one of the largest agregations of =
capital,

money, in history. Every time an engine is running either in North =
America,

Japan, Europe or Australia - money flows to the Middle East, Saudi =
Arabia

in particular. Tens of millions of U.S. dollars every day; around the =
clock

365 days a year. Multiply that sum by the number of days in a year and =
then,

again by the number of years since the 1973 Arab oil embargo and you get =
an

astronomic amount of money. Where is that money? Some of it has been

given, by the Saudis, to a number of terrorist organizations for the =
past 30

years and is, at this moment, being given to setting up training camps =
for

Palestinian suicide bombers to bomb civilian targets in Israel. One may =
like Israel or not but how do you know that the people who train =
terrorists to kill and mame Israeli civilians won't practice their craft =
on terrorists with United States civilians in mind? Also, just for the =
record, Saudi Arabia is a country where the birth of a girl is not even =
registered and where women aren't allowed to drive because they're =
considered not very valuable. This is the only country in the world =
today that has weekly or biweekly executions, beheadings, right in front =
of the main mosque in Riad, on Fridays at about 1 o-clock p.m. as =
worshipers file out of the mosque. A government employed executioner =
swingigng a large, sharp and heavy sword does the job on those whom the =
Saudi government considers political or religious undesirables. I'm only =
mentioning all of this to point out how easy it is to cozy up to a =
'friendly' country without attaching some strings in return for generous =
American support. Strings like 'no training terrorists or=20

financially supporting any country or organization who undertakes such =
training'.

The United States had periods of poverty, extreme poverty, the last such =
period was the great depression which brought on nation wide =
down-to-the-dirt poverty. I don't recall the United States government =
setting up training camps for terrorists to give vent to the frustration =
born of the national poverty. I do recall the United States government =
bending every effort, employing the finest minds it could find to turn =
the situation around and to help everyone get their lives back to being =
productive and economically sound. So the formula, proposed by some, =
'poverty =3D frustration =3D terrorist training =3D attacks on innocent =
civilians excuseable on the grounds of poverty' is a falasy.=20

The bulk of the oil money from the United States, Europe and Japan is in =
the possession of a few hundred people and is

sitting, in the guise of gold bullion, in Swiss bank vaults.

Could some of that money be used to alleviate some of the poverty in the

region? Maybe to build an infra structure; roads, hospitals, =
universities,

industries in the Palestinian territory? Maybe to close some of the =
refugee

camps by letting the refugees settle somewhere in an Arab country and

providing them with enough money, it doesn't take that much, to begin a

productive life and an education for their children? Of course it could.

Why isn't it, you ask, because the wealthy in Saudi Arabia, Iran or =
Lybia

like their money to remain theirs! and we in the United States and =
Canada

have been cozying up to these countries, Saudi Arabia in particular =
while

turning a blind eye to what we knew, or should have known, has been =
going on

all these years.

 So poverty in the Middle East is not there because of us

but because it is imposed by the wealthy of the region and, not to =
forget,

the religious priests of Islam - the Mullas. They are not too excited to

spread enlightenment, liberal education and equal opportunity among the

masses of the people, far easier to rule when ignorance prevails, so =
much

easier to foment hatred towards the United States or Israel or whoever =
is

convenient at the moment. Before the U.S. and Israel it was the British.

Another statement being repeated is that poverty breeds terrorist

organizations and attacks. Let us not forget that terrorist =
organizations,

all of them, from Red October and Bader Meinhoff to Ben Laden's - are =
all

rich, well financed and very well versed in enriching themselves by such

industries as the drug trade. Also, no terrorist organization has ever =
alleviated poverty anywhere. Terrorist organizations do their dirty work =
for

reasons other than alleviating poverty either in Latin America or the =
Middle

East.

So what's all this about? Either we allow terrorist organizations and =
their pay masters and host countries to attack us with impunity or not. =
The

poverty in the Middle East is neither the fault of the West ( it was =
there aplenty, well before the arrival of any western power, nor is it =
our responsibility to alleviate it. It IS our responsibility to force =
those to whom we send all that oil money to spend a reasonable =
percentage of it on an ongoing and supervised basis to alleviate that =
poverty. Quite independently from action we take to foil terrorists and =
their schemes.

Thanks for reading this.

Ari Isaac.