Square Grand Flanges/adjustable

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:53:17 -0100

>> .... Unfortunately, the production, of these flanges, are/were very
>> expensive to make, hence the idea was discarded. Alas and alack! :-(

> I find it some interesting that, as we move into the 21st century,
> filled with pride over our manufacturing expertise, that we find it
> impossible to manufacture efficiently something that was common in
> the 19th century.

Adjustable wooden flanges required one additional slotting, and at least
one additional drilling operation. Slotting must have been done after
the molding blank is sliced apart (unlike tapering and rounding, and
forming the flange arms/ears) but efficiently which could have been done
by clamping a bunch together sideways.

With automatic drilling and feeding systems (Dolge mentions their
existing in this industry at latest by 1911) I can't imagine these extra
steps doubled their cost, but maybe the little round head screws might
have done. Crow feets use the same principle, being squarer and narrower
I think would make handling more difficult than for these flanges. Cost
saved in assembly, though, bushing and pinning weren't so critical,
described in 1904, 1920 and 1924 still as hand-work.

How is the experience with ribbed Teflon bushings - does their design
counteract the problems with the earlier ones? These are more expensive
than tuning pins, though I think as few technicians have bushing
machines surely they must save some in installation cost.

Clark