Silencing a piano

Larry lbeach@sfu.ca
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:01:24 -0700

I dealt with this exact same situation a few months ago.  I had concluded
that it would be too expensive and impractical to design a celeste-type
must system in the grand.  What I did instead was to buy some cheap heavy
carpeting that could be cut up.  I placed these directly onto the
soundboard underneath the strings.  They do not contact the strings.  I
installed rubber castor cups under the piano legs.  Thirdly I attached foam
rubber to the underbelly of the piano.

When the girl played on the piano, she almost cried because she couldn't
get any dynamic contrast anymore.  However, when I called back a few weeks
later they told me there were no more complaints.